John Garvey , University President; Grayson Wagstaff , dean, music; and students Christiana Gellert and Matthew Yost , were quoted in a Catholic Standard story on the 25th Annual Christmas Concert for Charity. See below.

Catholic University and the National Shrine host 25th Annual Christmas Concert for Charity

From: Catholic Standard Date: Dec. 23, 2014 Author: Zoe Di Mauro

... The opening piece, which premiered at the concert, "was so dramatic," said Christiana Gellert, a CUA junior. "I felt like I almost understood the Nativity better because I heard that representation, that musical expression of it." ...

"As far as I know there is no other event in the United States where a student would have this large an audience and TV coverage of the premiere of a new composition," said Wagstaff. "(The coverage) allows (the concert) to speak to so many people in such a beautiful way." ...

"I really thought what the piece was all about- this anticipation of Christ coming into the world and this beauty springing forth from the darkness," said Yost. "I was trying to convey this sense of growing motion and excitement and building almost release from tension." ...

John Garvey, president of CUA, said he was proud that the university was able to perform and experience the beauty of Christmas music in "the biggest and most beautiful church in North America," he said.

"I think people don't give college students enough credit for their appreciation of beautiful things, whether it be art or architecture or music," he said, "but it's part of what makes college such a beautiful experience and something you'll never forget."

> Continue reading.

Read more about Garvey 's and Wagstaff's expertise. (hyperlink to faculty member's expert guide page)