The Catholic Standard published a story about 26 CUA graduates committed to long-term service. See below.

26 CUA graduates commit to long-term service

From: Catholic Standard Date: May 19, 2015

On March 11 Bobby Sylvester, a senior politics major at The Catholic University of America, committed to serving as a teacher for two years at a Catholic school in Florida. On April 24 he was offered a Fulbright scholarship to teach English in Taiwan. The next few days were "agonizing," he says.

The Fulbright would take Sylvester, who spent his junior year in Beijing, back to an area of the world that intrigues him. His commitment to the Alliance for Catholic Education (ACE) Teaching Fellows program would take him to a city on Tampa Bay, where he would teach social studies at St. Petersburg Catholic High School.

He talked to Conventual Franciscan Father Jude DeAngelo, Catholic University's chaplain and director of Campus Ministry, and Peter Shoemaker, associate dean for undergraduate studies and director of the University Honors Program. He took long walks around campus, pondering his options. "It was really hard. I didn't get much sleep," says Sylvester. In the end, he stuck with his decision to commit to ACE.

"Faith has always been a big part of my life," says Sylvester, who graduated from a private Catholic school in Upton, Massachusetts. "I had great teachers in high school who really inspired me and helped me grow into the person I am today." He says that his grandmother, paraphrasing Luke 12:47, would often remind him that "to whom much is given, much is expected."

Sylvester is one of 26 Catholic University seniors who have decided to do long-term service after commencement. The number of students who have committed to serving at schools and in communities around the country and overseas has more than doubled since last year.

...

> Continue reading.