May 21, 2020

Brother Andrew Corriente, fourth year graduate, divinity, was featured in Washingtonian, Fox5, WUSA9, Catholic News Service, Catholic Standard, and 13 News Now, about baking over 1,600 cookies for Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Washington’s food distribution.

..."We need to nourish our bodies through good nutrition, vegetables, protein sources,” he says. “But there’s a different emotion when you eat a good dessert…it gives you this intense moment of joy, and I feel like it helps uplift the soul. A meal can be nourishment but it can be so much more than that. It can transcend you into a heavenly realm. For me, the best thing that does that is cookies.”...

Continue reading on Washingtonian

..."A local friar is relying on his baking skills to help hundreds of people in need in the DMV. Capuchin Franciscan Brother Andrew Corriente, a fourth-year divinity student at Catholic University of America and Capuchin College, won season five of the nationally televised baking program, the Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition, in January."...

Continue reading on WUSA9

..."Each day I had two brothers help -- one to wash dishes and one to scoop out the cookie dough," he said. The only snag he encountered was "when I ran out of all-purpose flour and our shipment was not due to come in for three days. So I had to work with cake flour and bread flour to figure out the recipe to mimic all-purpose flour."...

Continue reading on Catholic News Service

..."Catholic Charities came to me and said they were going to feed 800 families, and as crazy as I am, I just jumped on it,” Brother Andrew said."...

Continue reading on Catholic Standard

..."Doing this kind of charitable work is just what I feel like I was designed to do," he said. "So it's a really, really big honor to be part of it."...

Continue reading on 13News Now